After giving birth, the car seat is one of the tops of mind for your infant as you will not be able to leave the hospital without one. You might already be knowing why getting the best car seat is important, but you are wondering how to go about choosing one for yourself to fit […]
After giving birth, the car seat is one of the tops of mind for your infant as you will not be able to leave the hospital without one. You might already be knowing why getting the best car seat is important, but you are wondering how to go about choosing one for yourself to fit your lifestyle, budget, and your car. That is where the best infant care in Singapore comes in handy to assist you in doing so.
Tips to remember
- Car seats are categorized in four basic types which include: infant car seats, 3 in 1 car seat, convertible car seats, and booster car seats
- When purchasing infant car seats, they do offer rear-facing security and comfort for newborns to babies who weigh up to 30 pounds.
- For car seats, which are convertible, you can be able to use rear-facing when it comes to infants and for older toddlers.
- When you purchase a 3 in 1 car seat, it will be able to grow with your baby up to the time they will be ready for a booster seat, that is, at age 4.
- All the car seats which are available in the market are normally held by the same safety standards by the administration of the national highway traffic safety. But there are those which tend to aim higher with side impact which is additional or latching systems for parent proof.
- Booster seats are good for children who are 4 years and above and they need to have a seat belt.
- You need to carefully read the car seat manual with care, ensuring you get to know the official weight and height limit for your seats are well known plus other safety requirements which are necessary for you. During installation, follow the instructions as shown.
What to consider when purchasing the car seat
All the car seats which are sold in the market tend to meet the basic requirements for safety and thus, this is going to make your shopping trip to be faster. You will also need to consider other factors such as your lifestyle, your budget, your family plans, and the car size. The way you answer to the following questions should help you in making an easier decision.
How long are you intending to use it?
When it comes to safety, the best way to use a car seat is rear-facing. But if your budget and space do not allow, then it could be wise if you invest in a convertible seat to use for a long term. Especially due to the fact that most convertible seats currently available tend to offer extended rear-facing use of up to 40 pounds and above.
How much room do you have?
There are some car seats which are much larger as compared to others, and in case your car is small, it might mean that you will have a tight squeeze. You have to first of all measure your space and put into consideration other passengers before you buy, to ensure that you will have enough room for your seat and baby to fit comfortably.
Will you require more than one car seat?
In case you and your partner have separate cars, you might require a car seat for each of the vehicles. But in case your coordination and schedules allow it, you can buy one single seat which you can easily move between cars when the need arises. In case that is the way to go, you will have to get a seat which is easy to install and at the same time uninstall, lightweight, as this will make it easy to make a switch. In case you are starting with a rear-facing infant seat for the car which naps to the base, you could have an option of buying an extra-base instead of purchasing an extra seat.
How portable should your car seat be?
There are parents who will install the car seat and leave it in place for two to five years as long as the baby is using it. But it could be good to get one that is mobile if you are intending to use it in several vehicles or if you would like the option to carry your baby in the seat of the car, or making the car seat to become a compatible stroller. If you are planning to move the car seat a lot, then get one that has a handle that is ergonomically designed and a lighter, smaller footprint. Seats which weigh about 10 pounds are at a manageable weight while you are likely going to come across some which can be able to weigh as much as 20 to 30 pounds without including the weight of the baby.
Is the compatibility of the stroller important?
If most of the time you are on the go, then you might require a car seat which is easy to convert into a stroller. You have the option of investing in a system of travel that has an infant car seat, and then you go ahead later on in upgrading to a seat that is convertible. Most of the travel systems in the market do have a stroller and at the same time, are easily attachable car seat using an adapter or a one-click connection which is easy. And since you are buying both at the same time, it might be more affordable.